Today I bought a new laptop and the guy on shop has done all the installation process and disk partitioning. And when I saw my laptop I was just screwed off when I saw just two drives out of which one was local system drive and other was normal drive for storing other stuffs.
Since I was aware about above trick I didn’t panic. But it may happen with you too.
I have a Question:
“Can I apply this trick on my old drive, I mean not on new laptop or desktop?”
Of course! You can try! But, with some more efforts to take backup of your drive if you want your data to be retain in your computer, if you don’t want any saved data then just follow the given steps before performing the above trick.
- Double click on My Computer Icon to open it.
- Right Click on the drive which you need to partition follow by format
- Go for positive response if any prompt
Or use alternate method check here : Partition disk of your hard drive anytime
Getting back to the trick:
Now whether it’s your new/old laptop/desktop you are ready to do partition on your drive.
Steps to be perform to partition the disk of hard drive as follows:
- Check for My Computer Icon on your Desktop/laptop Screen. Right Click on it follow by Manage
- Now on the appeared window screen check for Storage on the left panel, single click on it to expand if ‘Disk Management’ is not visible. Now Click on ‘Disk Management’
Don’t Miss: How to select best processor for your system?
- Now Window appear is as shown below
Check on this screen the
- Dark blue colour strip indicate that it is Primary partition which you don’t have to touch
- Blue colour strip indicate that is logical drive which is being partition again don’t this drive
- We are searching for Black colour strip which indicate that it is unallocated and we can allocate as per our wish.
- Now check if your system is new one then you will see disk unallocated i.e free memory is available. If your system is old one then you will see only that drive unallocated which you have just format using steps mention above in this trick.
- Now Right click on the unallocated disk follow by ‘New Simple Volume’ to start ‘New Simple Volume Wizard’. Click on Next when below window appears
- Now ‘Specify Volume Size’
Here you can see
- Maximum disk in MB (Maximum disk size available for use)
- Minimum disk in MB (Minimum size required to be leave unused by us)
- Simple Volume Size in MB (Size required for our new disk volume after leaving Minimum disk in MB)
Go for Next option
- Assign Drive Letter or Path
Here as you have your name which is used by your friends and family member J , you need to give name which is single Letter e.g. ‘J’
Now Next please…
- Format Partition
It’s always needed for your first use of drive- Format
Go for option as shown in below images, if you don’t want to face any more screenshot by me.
Simply click Next
- Last Step and your done
Just Click on finish button to Complete the New Simple Volume Wizard.
It happen many with us when we buy new laptop or desktop. Or sometime we are overwhelmed by storing all your awesome collection in single drive and want to manage your collection efficiently in different drive. Just don’t panic and use this trick.
Do take a moment to share this trick with your friend and do comment below for any query or want some more tricks.